By: Rhoda Gakii
Taking fantastic vacation can fuel your soul and give you really fantastic memories. But its so easy to overspend, and end up on debt. With careful budgeting you can make sure you understand your vacation expenses so that you won’t end up overspending. I will take you step by step on how to plan vacation on budget.
1.Setting your budget
Determine how much you can afford to spend on your vacation and outline all the things you plan on spending on clearly.
- Accommodation: this can be a hotel, resort, campsite depending on how many you are.
- Transport to destination: whether you plan on using plane, train or bus tickets and fuel if you are driving.
- Transport when you are at your destination: this will require you to know where exactly you’ll visit on each day of your vacation.
- Food: this requires you to know the average cost of food at the destination of your vacation
- Activities: whether you plan on going skiing, hiking, on a safari, ensure you include money you plan to spend on each activity.
- Cost incurred at home when you are away: these are like cost for pet sitting, house sitting or lost wages if you take unpaid time off.
- Emergency expenses: this are things that may occur unexpected such as accidents or souvenirs.
- Gear: any gear you need to purchase or rent for your vacation.
2.Choose Affordable Destinations:
Research destinations known for being budget-friendly. Look for places where the cost of living, accommodation, and activities align with your budget.
You may also read: How to link PayPal to Mpesa in 2023
Traveling during non-peak seasons can result in significant cost savings on flights, accommodations, and attractions. If you travel on peak seasons when most people are on holiday such as during December holidays most vacations increase cost due to the increased demand.
4. Use Travel Apps and Deals:
Most of these apps have all inclusive deals for specific destinations ,they’ll offer transport and accommodation all in one package which in most case is cheaper than sourcing for accommodation and transport separately.
5 Opt for free and low cost activities:
Research free or low-cost attractions, parks, museums, and events at your destination. Often, these can be just as enjoyable as more expensive options and save you money at the same time.
6.Hit the grocery to plan vacation on budget
Eating out can be one of the biggest expenses on vacations, but you can save money on groceries by going to the grocery store when you can. Here you can get prepared meals for a fraction of the cost or you can buy food to cook yourself.
7.Use public transport whenever possible
Public transport can be a convenient way to get around in most vacation spots because it is always cheaper therefore saving you money to get to the same destination. This also helps you interact with the local culture better.
Remember that when you plan vacation on budget doesn’t mean sacrificing enjoyment. With careful planning, you can have a memorable and fulfilling trip without straining your finances.
I hope this will inspire you to plan an affordable vacation this year that everyone in your family will love.