Are you a Kenyan graduate, interested to advance your studies internationally? Here is a list of masters scholarships in Kenya 2022. Different scholarships have different application requirements; however some application requirements that are common in most scholarships. This include but not limited to motivation letter/ personal statement, at least 2 reference letters, curriculum vitae and academic certificates. Most scholarships application open between September and January 2023, however, the few other scholarships applications are open across other months of the year. Here is the list of the scholarship currently accepting applications. The links to the official scholarship and the scholarship application closing dates are included below each scholarship.
You may also read: How to choose a career that suits you best
10 Marketable Degree Courses in Kenya
List of Scholarships for Masters in Kenya 2022
1. DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Masters Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance
This is a fully funded Masters scholarship to study at the German institutions of higher education. It is one of the best scholarship for African students in 2022. It supports students from developing countries interested in promoting democracy and social justice in their home countries. It is open to candidates from Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa and other eligible countries. They are awarded for selected Master courses in the disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political and economic development of their home country at German institutions of higher education.
Fully Funded DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Masters Scholarship Value
- The scholarship holder are exempted from tuition fee.
- Monthly scholarship rate of currently 931 €.
- Contributions to health insurance in Germany
- Appropriate travel allowance
- A study and research subsidy
- Rent subsidies and/or allowances for spouses and/or children where applicable. Prior to their study programs, all scholarship holders will also receive a 6 months German language course. Participation is mandatory.
Eligibility for this masters scholarship
- Graduates from developing countries (bachelor or equivalent)
- A well-qualified first university degree in the fields of social and political sciences, law, economics, public policy and administration
- Willing to actively contribute to the social, political and economic development of their home countries/regions
- The applicant must have acquired practical experience relevant for the programme (professional experience, internships, political/social commitment)
Application process for the Masters Scholarship
All applications must be submitted in English or German.
Applicants must indicate clearly that they are applying for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Programme (Master’s scholarships in Public Policy and Good Governance).
One may apply for up to two courses of study from the list given
- Complete the DAAD application form
- If one is applying for two master’s courses: A single application for both master’s courses, and only one motivation letter detailing why one chose the respective master’s courses as well as your reasons for prioritising.
- The filled application form together with the required application documents are then submitted to the to the master’s courses of your choice (not to DAAD).
The application period at all 8 universities lasts from 1 June – 31 July 2022.
Apply for the scholarship by clicking DAAD Masters Scholarship application link
2. Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University for International Students
Rhodes Masters Scholarship is a fully funded, full time, postgraduate scholarship awarded to talented young people from around the world to study at the University of Oxford.
Rhodes Scholarship Fields of Study
Rhodes Scholars may study any full-time postgraduate degree at the University of Oxford.
The scholarship covers:-
- Oxford University course fees and stipend.
For the 2021/22 academic year, the stipend is £17,310 per annum (£1,442.50 per month) from which Scholars pay all living expenses, including accommodation.
- Fee for a student visa and the associated International Health Surcharge (IHS), which enables international students to access the UK’s National Health Service.
- Two economy class flights – to and from the UK – for the beginning and end of studies in Oxford.
- On arrival in Oxford, Scholars receive a settling in allowance
Rhodes Scholarship selection criteria for African Students
- Academic excellence
- Energy to use one’s talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- Truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- Moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings
Eligibility for the Scholarship for Kenyan Students
- Kenyan Citizens and refugees/asylum seekers currently residing in Kenya
- Your Education / residency in Kenya for at least five of the last ten years?
- On 1 October 2022, you must be at least 18 and have not reached your 24th birthday (i.e. you must have been born after 1 October 1998 and on or before 1 October 2004).
OR (for older candidates who completed their first undergraduate degree later than usual)
On 1 October 2022, you must not have reached your 27th birthday (i.e. have been born after 1 October 1995) AND you have met or will meet the academic requirements for completing your first undergraduate degree on or after 1 October 2021*.
- Have you already completed, or will have completed by July 2023, an undergraduate degree (normally a Bachelor’s degree) with an academic background and grade that – at a minimum – meets or exceeds the specific entry requirements of your chosen full-time course at the University of Oxford?
Given the very intense international competition for places at the University of Oxford, candidates will have a greater chance of successful admission to Oxford if they have:
• A First Class Honours Degree or equivalent, or,
• A GPA of 3.70/4.0 or higher
Applicants can as well check their eligibility based on the country from Rhodes Scholarship Eligibility
Rhodes Masters Scholarships in Kenya Application Procedure
There are two Rhodes Scholarships available each year in Kenya.
Opening date: 1 June 2022
Closing date: 23:59 Eastern Africa Time, 31 August 2022
Application requirements and selection process vary slightly depending on which constituency you are applying for. To ensure that you have all of the information you need to apply, please read the Information for Candidates – specific to Kenya – carefully in this link.
Rhodes Masters Scholarship for Kenyan Students Application Link
3. Trinity College Dublin 2022-2023 Masters Scholarships for Women in STEM
This scholarship is for female students interested in MSc Quantum Science and Technology degree. The scholarship value is 20,000 euro.* and are awarded to female students who demonstrate great academic achievement, extracurricular accomplishments or contribution to society.
The Trinity College Dublin 2022-2023 Masters scholarship application deadline:-
The Trinity College Dublin 2022 Masters Scholarships for Africa students applications closes on 31 July 2022
4. University of Manchester 2022 Global Futures Scholarships for African Students
This offers both undergraduate and postgraduate scholarship opportunity to students interested to study at the University of Manchester. The scholarship are awarded based on the academic excellence and the quality of responses on the application form
University of Manchester 2022 Scholarships for African Students application form
You can apply for University of Manchester scholarship by clicking this link
The University of Manchester Scholarships for African students application deadline is on: 19th June 2022
5. University of Birmingham Global Masters Scholarships
This is a partial scholarship offering £10,000 towards the cost of tuition fees.
The candidate must have received, and accepted, an offer of admission for a taught Master’s degree at the University of Birmingham UK Campus to study in the 2022/23 academic year.
40 scholarships are available to students from eligible countries to pursue a one year taught master’s scholarship at the University of Birmingham.
The Application Link
To apply for the University of Birmingham Global Masters Scholarships in Kenya you need to clink the link.
The scholarship application deadline: 30 June 2022 at 23:59 (UK time / GMT+1)
6. International Ambassador Scholarships at University of West London
This partial scholarship recognises and provides financial support for outstanding students who wish to act as ambassadors for the University of West London.
The scholarship is offered to Non-EU International Students pursuing any full-time undergraduate or postgraduate course at the University of West London
Up to £5,000 tuition fee discount for the first year of study
Application deadline: 11 July 2022 (annual)
International Ambassador Scholarship Application Form
Click on International Ambassador Scholarship Application Form to Apply.