PayPal Mpesa is a platform that enables users to receive funds in their Mpesa accounts from PayPal. It is a partnership between Safaricom PLC and PayPal Ltd and their web application is operated by Thunes. Users should have a verified PayPal account and a registered Safaricom mobile number with Mpesa. It came up after agreement between PayPal Ltd and Safaricom PLC a couple of years ago. This made it possible for Kenyans to pay for goods and services in the international market. Our article will show you how to link PayPal to Mpesa Account and how to transact with the two.
is easy and fast. Users can receive funds into their Mpesa account in a few minutes. Topping up from Mpesa to PayPal is also quick and with good exchange rates.
What is PayPal?
PayPal is one of the best online money transfer services in the World. It is generally seen as one of the most trustworthy global payment platform. The company helps customers to send and receive payments. These services are enabled by PayPal’s web and mobile applications. Kenyans are bale to pay and receive payment for ecommerce products and services.
What is Mpesa?
Being the first mobile money transfer platform in the world, Mpesa lets you send and receive money directly into your mobile number. MPesa is not only in Kenya but other countries like Tanzania, Mozambique, DRC, Lesotho, Ghana, Egypt, Afghanistan and South Africa.
M-Pesa allows users to deposit, withdraw, transfer money, pay for goods and services (Lipa na M-Pesa), access credit and savings, all with a mobile device.
How to link PayPal to Mpesa
This is how to link PayPal to Mpesa Step by step. Its simple
- Go to PayPal mobile money website and login with your PayPal account credentials.
- Read and agree to PayPal terms and Conditions.
- Enter your registered Safaricom number that you intend to link to your PayPal account.
- Click on link accounts.
- Enter the verification code sent via SMS to your mobile.
- Complete the linking process and start using the service.
PayPal Mpesa Log In
To log in to PayPal Mpesa, you need to visit PayPal Mobile Money website by the clicking the link PayPal Mpesa Log In
PayPal to Mpesa Withdrawal
Once you have linked your number to PayPal account, you can now withdraw your money from PayPal. To withdrawal from PayPal.
- Go to the PayPal Mpesa Website.
- Click on “Get Started” and log in using PayPal
- Click Withdraw from PayPal
- Enter the Amount you wish to Withdraw
- Click on “Continue to Withdraw”
A page showing the following will appear
- The total amount to be received in Kenya Shillings.
- The Exchange rate used to convert USD to KES
- The estimated processing time for the transaction.
Once you are okay with the figures, proceed with the funds withdrawal.
It takes anywhere from a few minutes to 3 days to process a withdrawal request from PayPal to M-PESA account. This depends on the transaction value. The more the funds, the longer the time.
PayPal Mpesa withdraw limit
The withdraw has a limit. Users can only withdraw Kshs 150,000 per transaction. Also, M-PESA accounts cannot hold more than Kshs 300,000.
PayPal Mpesa Withdrawal Charges
It is worth noting that while receiving Money via PayPal in Kenya, you’ll incur some charges. These include a flat fee of $0.30 and a transaction fee of 4.4% per transaction.
For example, if you need $100, you should ask for $104.92.
- Transaction fee: 4.4% * $104.92 = $4.62
- Flat Fee = $0.30
Total Fees: $4.92
What you will Receive: $104.92 – $4.92 = $100
However, if you invoice for $100, you will end up receiving $95.30.
PayPal to M-PESA withdrawal errors
Sometimes you will get an error message when trying to withdraw. “Oops, the withdraw could not be completed”. To fix this error, contact PayPal on their website or social media pages. The error is fixed between 48 and 72 hours.
How to Deposit Money to PayPal from Mpesa
To top up your PayPal Mpesa account, you need to deposit cash to PayPal using your Lipa na Mpesa pay bill number 800088. Following is a step by step guide on how to deposit money into your PayPal account using your Safaricom M-Pesa line. Please note that Relevant Mpesa Charges apply.
2. Click “Top Up to PayPal”
3. Scroll to the bottom of the screen. Enter the US$ amount you want in your PayPal Account and then click calculate to get the Kenyan Shillings Amount you need to transfer from your MPesa.
4. Go to Mpesa Menu and select “Lipa na Mpesa”
5. Select “Pay Bill”
6. Enter 800088 as the PayPal business number
7. Enter the Safaricom phone number you used to connect your PayPal to M-PESA as the account number
8. Enter your Mpesa PIN code.
9. Click “Send”.